IMPORTANT: The following journal is intended for the use and viewing of approved persons only and may contain information that is confidential, privileged or unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with low self-esteem, no sense of humour or irrational religious beliefs. Any dissemination, distribution or copying of this work is not authorised (either explicitly or implicitly) and constitutes an irritating social faux pas. Unless the word ‘absquatulation’ has been used in its correct context somewhere other than in this warning, it does not have any legal or grammatical use and may be ignored. No animals were harmed in the creation of this journal and a minimum of Microsoft software was used. Those of you with an overwhelming fear of the unknown will be gratified to learn that there is no hidden message revealed by reading this warning backwards.
Year View| Summary| Highlights| July 2007 (Month View)
01.07.2007 – Sunday 1 July – Indooroopilly
- • Slept in. Drove to Bronwen’s parent’s place, then on to Indooroopilly, with Maz and Bronwen. The Holden Blimp is back.
02.07.2007 – Monday 2 July – ♪♫♪
- • Drive to work. Work. 7 to 3 at EB, training Shane. Come home. Finally got around to connecting my music drive. Stayed up late listening to music.
03.07.2007 – Tuesday 3 July – Pizza
- • Another day of work, culminating in a very, very slow drive south through the city—when I wasn’t stopped entirely, I wasn’t going faster than ten kilometres an hour. I found out later there’d been an accident somewhere further south.
04.07.2007 – Wednesday 4 July – Deratting
- • I drove to work, grabbing an olive and a pineapple pizza roll for breakfast, along with an iced coffee. Eight and a half hours later, I drove home.
- • I soldered up the cable that the rat ate. It has chewed the phone cable into several pieces. Fortunately I’m multiplexing it all across cat5 at the moment, which it has nibbled but not cut.
- • Clint, Maz and I enjoyed curry at the local Indian restaurant, before playing various games on Maz’s new Playstation 2.
05.07.2007 – Thursday 5 July – Deratting MKII
- • I attended work, where I worked.
- • I re-fixed the rat-chewed cables, and tied a kitchen sink strainer to the bottom of the cable hole that the rat has been using to enter and chew my cables. Hopefully this stops it and it decides to go to sea or something.
06.07.2007 – Friday 6 July – Break-in Attempt
- • I was awoken by Mi phoning Bronwen to let her know that an external door on her house was broken, scratched and appeared to have been forced. Visions of Wolverine came to mind. Bronwen and I drove to her place, to find that the door did indeed appear to have been forced. Fortunately, there’s a security door inside the external door, so he/she/they/it hadn’t actually got in. The police were called, and turned up surprisingly soon after, to take a statement.
- • Bronwen and I drove to an auto-wreckers, where I picked up a few bits of plastic with a few fewer holes than those currently on my car—a few things have been installed and subsequently removed in the past, leaving various holes. Now all I have to do is work out how to remove the existing plastic and put these on.
- • I’m back at my place, having failed to get to Umart in time to pick up my hopefully fixed motherboard, which is apparently now awaiting me there. I’ve had a nice curry for dinner, and am going to have to get to bed sadly soon because I’m working horribly early tomorrow morning—though I think some ice cream is required first.
07.07.2007 – Saturday 7 July – Cold, Sockets & Curry
- • I had to get up, shower, detangle my hair, clothe my body, resume my computer, and run to the train station. Running in the freezing cold, barely awake, is not good for one—particularly one’s nose. I managed to survive, and celebrated with a nice warm veggie patty six inch subway, before diving into work.
- • I rushed home—managing to catch a bus without waiting for ages, for once—and drove to Super Cheap Auto, via Maz’s, where I bought a super cheap socket set.
- • Maz and I had curry for dinner, followed by Cold Rock—chocolate, caramel mud cake and strawberry tonight, topped with whipped cream.
- Comment by Mum – Wednesday 1 August 2007, 8:26 PM
08.07.2007 – Sunday 8 July – Amamoor
- • Bought breakfast from a bakery near here, and then drove to Amamoor to have a look at where I used to live. Bumped into Annette while up there, so dropped in on her place and had a chat.
09.07.2007 – Monday 9 July – Joe’s
- • Working 7 to 3 in the fishbowl.
- • Left my car at Bronwen’s last night. Caught bus out there and drove down to Joe’s for dinner and to set up a new LCD.
10.07.2007 – Tuesday 10 July – Working
- • Working 7 to 3 in the fishbowl.
11.07.2007 – Wednesday 11 July – Stereo Install
- • Got a wiring connector from Supercheap Auto. Attempted to install car stereo with Maz. Dash coming out etc. Lots of plastic clips and nearly impossible to reach wires and pipes. Pulled dash entirely out. Re-jigged all the vacuum pipes and wiring. Re-installed dash. Fitted the stereo. Doesn’t really fit, but looks ok. No aerial yet. Spent hours on it, getting it finished after midnight, and going for a bit of a drive to test it. Will need to redo it later when have more inspiration.
12.07.2007 – Thursday 12 July – Harry Potter & the Order of the Phoenix
- • Work.
- • Pick up four chairs with Bronwen, that someone was getting rid of. Enjoy a Biryani from Halim’s Indian Taj Restaurant.
- • Watch Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix at Southbank with Bronwen.
13.07.2007 – Friday 13 July – Sleepy
- • Sleepy due to movie last night. At work.
- • Indooroopilly for shopping, meeting Maz and Kieran, and dinner. Stay late at Kieran’s.
14.07.2007 – Saturday 14 July – Ocean’s 12
- • Drove up to the real estate to sign and return the renewed lease. Looking for chair leg rubber things. Drove to West End factory warehouse. Drove to Indooroopilly. Drove to Maz’s, Clint and Kieran there.
- • Watched Ocean’s 12 with Bronwen.
15.07.2007 – Sunday 15 July – Nachos & Pasta
- • Indooroopilly with Bronwen. Very expensive nachos!
- • Drive to Bronwen’s. Nice Pasta.
16.07.2007 – Monday 16 July – Bunnings
- • Bus from Bronwen’s to work.
- • Walk to Big W. Bus back to Bronwen’s. Pick up car, drive to Bunnings, via getting lost. Buy door slides and chair feet. Drive home.
17.07.2007 – Tuesday 17 July – Relaxing
- • Bronwen stayed the night. She was upset as she’d flushed her iPod down the toilet in a terribly traumatic, but highly amusing, accident. Met Maz, got DVD’s. We had pizza and watched “The Wrong Man”.
18.07.2007 – Wednesday 18 July – Rental Hunting
- • Took today off, instead of Friday. Drove with Maz looking at rental properties. They’re getting expensive—$250 a week seems to be the going rate for a small two bedroom/one bedroom and study unit.
- • Fixed my old computer. Seems to work. Had curry with Maz and Kieran.
19.07.2007 – Thursday 19 July – Cold
- • Working 9 to 5. Install aerial plug into car radio and get it all fitting nicely. Get Cold Rock with Maz. Find out that Pop has been transferred to terminal care.
- • Very cold. Coldest night on record. My pathetic twenty five dollar doona that would warm you slightly on the beach, in the sun, didn’t really work very well. Fortunately I have an arctic sleeping bag.
20.07.2007 – Friday 20 July – Friday!
- • Working
- • Relaxing. Hard week. Nine to five is hard after early and late shifts.
21.07.2007 – Saturday 21 July – Shopping
- • I am, sadly, at work, and will be until half three.
- Half Three
- • I drive to Bronwen’s parent’s place, where I drink tea for some time, before picking up Bronwen and driving to Indooroopilly, as she has flushed her iPod down the toilet and desires a replacement before flying to Sydney tomorrow. Unfortunately, JB Hi-Fi at Indooroopilly has sold out of the MP3 player we were looking at, so we decide to check the city tomorrow.
- • Bronwen and I try the third curry place in West End—the one we never go to, beside the other two we do go to.
22.07.2007 – Sunday 22 July – MP3 Players
- • Bronwen and I walked to the city, where we had a look at MP3 players at JB Hi-Fi and Harvey Norman’s, between a milkshake and rum truffle. We bought the last two GHT 4 gigabyte MP3 players they had, and managed to get them for $90 each. Happy with this, we celebrated with lunch at Hungry Jack’s.
- • Back at my place, Bronwen noticed that her MP3 player was broken. We’re guessing it was returned as broken, as it was missing a USB lead when we got it. After a call to JB Hi-Fi at Indooroopilly to confirm they had stock, we drove there and swapped it for a new one.
- • Bronwen had forgotten several things, so we drove back to her place to get them, before dropping her at the airport.
- • After spending ages putting music onto my new MP3 player—because Winamp somehow manages to transfer songs over ten times slower than just copying them—I went for a walk to the IGA to get some pasta sauce, and took the MP3 player along. When I got to the store, I put it in my pocket on pause, and when I got out of the store, it had turned off, and wouldn’t turn back on. Once back home, I plugged it into my computer, and it worked, but still wouldn’t turn on. I put some water on to make pasta, plugged it into my computer again, unplugged it again, and it did turn on. I’ve left it running for over half an hour now, and it hasn’t stopped.
23.07.2007 – Monday 23 July – Milk Crate MKII
- • Working, seven to three, in the fishbowl—and quite busy I am.
- • I caught the bus home from work, helped Krish with some rental application things, drove to Maz’s, drove to Indooroopilly, and argued with the manager of JB Hi-Fi there. He said I couldn’t return my faulty MP3 player without a receipt, even though I had all the details from the receipt—which is currently in Sydney with Bronwen—and that they wouldn’t swap it, and would instead send it back for repair. After some heated disagreeing, he agreed that I could swap it within fourteen days, with a faxed copy of the receipt.
- • Maz and I dropped past Kieran’s, and then on to Rosalie for our regular curry, parking at Maz’s old place, just like old times. We then spent several hours making Maz’s Milk Crate MKII, which has so far turned out very nicely.
- • Staying up this late, when I have to get up in less than four hours, was not a good idea.
24.07.2007 – Tuesday 24 July – Drizzling Sleepily
- • Waking up after getting less than four hours sleep and finding that it was drizzling lightly was enough motivation to skip the bus and drive to work. Finding parking, however, wasn’t as easy. I ended up parking on the side of a mountain, literally too steep to reverse up—the wheels just spun.
- • I was pleased to find my car hadn’t slid down the hill in the wet on its own, jumped out of park and rolled down the hill, or stopped working from being parked with the fuel tank higher than the engine. I picked Maz up from work and we drove to Indooroopilly, where I swapped my MP3 player for a new one, and Maz bought a microwave, some crockery (along with a specially broken glass), and a bucket. I took my left over curry over to his place, and had dinner. The girls here seem to have gone all out on their cooking last night.
25.07.2007 – Wednesday 25 July – Umart
- • I woke up around the same time my bus left. I arrived at work nearly an hour late. My MP3 player has worked all day so far, almost like a normal one.
- • I picked up my graphics card from Umart, and some RAM for Maz, and drove to Maz’s where we powered up the Milk Crate Media Centre MKII, installed some Knoppix media centre system, which appeared to lack the ability to play media, and then Vista, but ran out of drivers for that and couldn’t download any without internet access.
- • The power failed, handily halfway through writing this. I’ve had less than four hours sleep the past two nights, and have to be up before six again. I must get to bed.
26.07.2007 – Thursday 26 July – Sick, Umart
- • Managed to drag myself out of bed to call in sick. Got up around midday. Umart disaster wasted rest of day. I figured I’d swap my (theoretically fixed) graphics card for a working one. Umart figured the warranty return process knew more than me. I had to take my monitor and computer in, with two graphics cards installed, and show them the difference between the output from a working card and this one, before they’d refund me the money, with which I bought a new graphics card, twice the price of the old one.
- • Went to Maz’s. Walked around the graveyard on the other side of Eleanor Schonell Bridge, bumping into some police, who thought that a little odd. There really aren’t that many good excuses for why you’re wandering around a graveyard, in the dark, at 2 AM.
27.07.2007 – Friday 27 July – Tired
- • Woke up but there was no way I could get out of bed and go to work, so called in sick again.
- • Caught a bus into the city and had lunch at Govinda’s. Their $6 student deal between two and three is good value. Also bought some soap.
- • Drove to Indooroopilly, via Maz’s, with Clint and Maz, and then watched Maz and Clint slaughter millions of people with their Namco Playstation guns.
28.07.2007 – Saturday 28 July – The Simpson’s Movie
- • What a nightmare. The front-right door speaker in my car doesn’t work. I finally decided to find out why. Or to be more precise, several hours ago I decided to find out why. I’ve actually got a manual now, so I’m not flying entirely blind. Unfortunately the instructions on getting the door trim off start with “insert a screw driver covered in a rag...and prise upwards”, and it gets worse from there. However, getting the door apart turned out to be the easy part. I spent most of the afternoon upside down, where the carpet and trimming used to go under the dash. After hours, multiple things in my eye, I found where the break in the wire is—it’s somewhere behind the very strong metal thing that’s bolted to something behind the dash, and which then goes out to the door. It looks like I’ll have to take most of the car off to get to it.
- • I drove to Keiran’s via Maz’s, and we had curry for dinner with Smeagol and his friend, before watching the Simpson’s Movie. The curry wasn’t fantastic, and the movie was crap, but we had a great night, not getting home until a quarter to five.
29.07.2007 – Sunday 29 July – Lost Phone
- • I’ve had the worst day, in a very minor way. After getting to bed not long before five o’clock this morning, I was woken by Nandini’s, or her boyfriend’s, phone in the morning. It has the worst ringtone, is very loud, rings for a very long time, and rang out several times, and again half an hour later. I eventually got back to sleep, and woke up after midday, feeling crappy for having slept in most of the day. I drove to Indooroopilly to buy a line-in cable for my car stereo, found that they’re over twenty dollars at Dick Smith, checked Harvey Norman, and ended up with one from Target for $8.95. It was about then that I discovered I didn’t have my phone. I checked in Harvey Norman, drove back to Dick Smith, but they were shut, rushed home, phoned my phone, and found that someone had found it and dropped it into Woolworths at Indooroopilly. A speedy drive back to Indooroopilly, and I was reunited with my phone.
- • Picked Bronwen up from the airport. Drove her to her place. Drove home.
30.07.2007 – Monday 30 July – Running
- • I woke up around lunchtime, and rushed to Toowong for Nachos with Maz. Unfortunately I accidentally ordered cheese nachos, rather than bean nachos, and they are very salty and boring. I then caught a bus to work, and spent the rest of the day problem solving.
- • After walking home from work, in what I plan to make the first of many, I went for a run. I’ve been becoming increasingly unfit, now that I have a car and spend most of my time sitting at work, and I need to do something about that, so I’m going to go running—or jogging—every weeknight I’m not doing something else. It’s going to be a long, slow, and rather sweaty slog by the looks—I managed to do what was probably not much over three kilometres tonight. Still, it’s a start.
31.07.2007 – Tuesday 31 July – Not Running
- • Work
- • Didn’t go for a jog. Decided to do some form of exercise each weekday, rather than always jogging. Today’s was walking briskly home from work. Something of a copout, but more realistic than jogging everyday given my laziness and random shifts.